About Heather Dade

Heather Dade was born near the Great Lakes, but made her way to South Carolina where she lives to this day. She's the author of Epiphany (an ARe best seller) and Forbidden Magic. She has also published several books and over forty short stores and poems under the name Heather Kuehl (pronounced "keel").
For more information about Heather's published works, upcoming releases, and events visit her website; http://www.mrsheyhey.com/

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Dear Neighbor (Or, what happens when you leave a pet behind)

When I first moved in to my house, I wasn't sure whose pets were whose and where they lived. It took a while for me to get my bearings. But I always noticed this really pretty black cat sitting at the recently vacated house down the street. I didn't think anything of it at first. Growing up, we had indoor/outdoor cats who acted like other houses were theirs, prowling their territory and showing other cats who the boss was. I thought this cat was prowling it's territory.

This wasn't the case.

It would be several months before I figured out that the black cat had been left behind when the owners left. Over those months, I saw her loose weight and become skittish. I started putting food on our back porch, hoping that we could get her used to us and bring her inside (I have a soft spot for cats. We had a problem with strays when I moved in too, but that's another story for another time). It got to the point that I could sit within hands reach of the food bowl and she'd still eat, but if I moved she'd shoot out of there like a rocket.

The black cat would sit in our yard under the bushes when I'd bring my son out to play; always watching us, but not really that concerned by our presence. It was going to take time to get her used to people again, but I was willing to put the work in. At one time she was someone's pet, and I would help her remember that people were good.

Three days ago she was hit by a truck speeding down the road.

She was sitting under my husband's truck and was spooked by something else just as the truck passed by. The tire clipped her, and she ran off. I looked all over for her, because I didn't care if I got clawed to pieces I was going to get her to the vet, but we haven't seen her since. I hope she's okay, that the hit looked worse than what it really was, but I can't help but think....

She'd never be in that predicament if her owners took responsibility for their pet and rehomed her. Instead they tossed her aside like she was garbage. She isn't garbage; she is a beautiful black cat with little wisps of white fur on her chest. I wish I could find those people who abandoned her. I wish I could tell them what came of their family pet. I wonder if they'd even care.

I care. And I pray that she's okay and will come around our home again. Because I still have hope that we can give her the home that she deserves.

No comments: