About Heather Dade

Heather Dade was born near the Great Lakes, but made her way to South Carolina where she lives to this day. She's the author of Epiphany (an ARe best seller) and Forbidden Magic. She has also published several books and over forty short stores and poems under the name Heather Kuehl (pronounced "keel").
For more information about Heather's published works, upcoming releases, and events visit her website; http://www.mrsheyhey.com/

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

About my reviews

For those of you who didn't know, I'm the Charleston Paranormal Fiction Examiner for Examiner.com. I review books, interview authors, and write articles about the paranormal genre.

After writing several reviews, most recently having to give a book 1 star, I decided that I wanted to explain my process.

Before I even open a book, it has 5 stars. It has yet to do anything to frustrate me or make me give up. If I can get to the end of the book without getting frustrated with wooden characters or a crappy plot line, the book will be rated 5 stars. From the moment I start to read, the rating changes. Slow beginning? Now the rating is down to 4 stars (because the beginning is the most important part for me). If the plot has been done before and the characters are in no way remarkable, 3 stars. 3-5 stars are all fantastic ratings, mind you. It means that the book was "good" to "fantastic." It's the 2 and 1 star ratings that authors should worry about.

2 stars means that I was able to finish the book, but it was just bad. And 1 star, I just couldn't finish the book no matter how hard I tried.

Like with all reviews, it is my personal opinion about the book. I always make sure to give examples on how the book was good or bad, and I also make sure that I don't bash the author that wrote it. Yeah, the book was bad, but that doesn't mean all their books are. Maybe I should live by Thumper's philosophy; If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. But as a reviewer I feel that it's my job to let readers know what books I think are good and which ones I think are bad so they can make an informed decision before spending their hard earned money on a particular title.

And on that note, I am always open to reviewing any paranormal title. Please email me at heatherkuehl(at)gmail(dot)com if you are interested in being reviewed or interviewed. And if you want to take a look at my Examiner page, go to http://www.examiner.com/paranormal-fiction-in-charleston-sc/heather-kuehl

No comments: